Deadly Balloons- Breaking News English (w/ Kahoot!
This is great if you have a nature or Earth Day theme coming up.
LESSON: Reading Comprehension
OBJECTIVES: a. Reading comprehension b. Build vocabulary
LEVEL: Intermediate- Upper Intermediate
Play the Kahoot for the Lesson
TIME: 30-40 minutes
PRE-READING: Preview vocabulary (8-10 minutes)
· Use the cards attached to this lesson and do a synonym match. Look for the words in context first, (if they can't, they can use their phones or a dictionary).
· Do the synonym match on Breaking News English
· Students choose 2 or 3 NEW words and write an example sentence with them.
READING: Read for Comprehension (15-25 minutes)
· Read and answer the True/False questions (6 minutes)
· Underline in the text where they found the answer.
· Check the answers. Listen to students' pronunciation as they read the question.
· Add some discussion questions if you have time
· Play KAHOOT about this article and vocabulary
TIPS to share:
· Don't read the text first for the T/F questions.
· Read the question, and search for the information and the answer. (The questions are in order)
Good luck! Let me know how it works for you and if you have any special touches that I can try in my classes:
- Focus more on the discussion questions and new vocabulary or expressions from the article.
- Work with more practical language and speaking with open guided discussion
- Do verbal reading and work with pronunciation and rhythm
- Find a partner, one partner is Discussion A, the other partner is Discussion B.
- Choose 2-3 discussion questions to ask your partner. Write down their partner's answer.
VOCABULARY to MATCH